Sunday, October 4, 2009

Baruna

Baruna and Orient were so intertwined that I feel irristably compelled to follow up the last post with this one. In the hearts of many, the two yachts belong together. I was fortunate enough to sail on both of them in their later years, long past the famed duels.

Both were launched in 1938, both were designed by Sparkman & Stephens, both claimed illustrious racing careers on the east coast, both were sold to new owners in San Francisco in 1953, where they continued their duels and battles until each was sold to owners outside San Francisco; Orient in 1963 and Baruna in 1968. If that wasn’t enough to tie them together, the owners of the two boats (Tim Moseley, Orient and Jim Michael, Baruna) founded the Barient Winch Company in 1958 and introduced a revolutionary new line of sailboat winches to the sailing world. The name of the new company was a combination of the two boat names: BARuna and OrIENT. Moseley had developed the winches using Orient as his guinea pig, rather successfully. The company caught on fast and for many years Barient was the winch of choice for large racing yachts worldwide. The company has since been sold and put out of business by its new owners.


Photo of Baruna under sail on SF Bay, scanned from my SEA article. Photo by Diane Beeston. I apologize for the poor quality of these scans.


Baruna, a splendidly graceful 72-foot yawl, was considered by many to be the most beautiful S&S yacht ever built. In his history of Sparkman & Stephens, Francis Kinney described Baruna as "fast in light airs, fast in strong breezes, comfortable at sea and beautiful. . . . Every line was absolutely perfect. . . . She is so beautifully proportioned in her entirety, both hull and rig."

I met her in 1973 when she arrived in the Bay in sad condition, having been donated to the California State Maritime Academy Alumni Foundation. At the time, I was a photojournalist on San Francisco Bay sailing and had a monthly Northern California column in SEA magazine. Although my first introduction to the skipper was from personal interest and curiosity about the boat, I eventually featured Baruna’s story in the column and raised more than a little wrath from the person who had made the donation. I did not speak kindly of him in the article. I shall omit his name to avoid more wrath, but here is the gist of what I wrote at the time: during the time he owned her he had her stern removed and shortened by several feet, had painted her traditionally black hull white and painted red, white and blue stripes on her cabin top. At the time of her donation she was in Suva, in the Fiji Islands, and deteriorated to the point where it was unsafe to sail without considerable work, most of which was performed during a 14-day layover in Pago. She sailed under the Golden Gate on New Year’s Eve, 1972, over two months after leaving Suva.

By the time I met her, she looked more like Baruna. Her hull had been painted black once more, the striped cabin top had disappeared, all thanks to a dedicated group of volunteers. I became one of those volunteers, although I don’t remember any specific efforts other than using my column to generate donations of cash, services and labor. Barient, not surprisingly, overhauled all the winches at no cost.


From my vantage point on one of my outings on Baruna, scanned from my SEA article.

I had the good fortune to sail with the group on several occasions, and each was a treat to be savored. Oddly enough, the one specific memory I have of these occasions was sailing up the Oakland Estuary one day. A fellow passing by in a smaller sailboat yelled out “what kind of boat is that?” “It’s the Baruna,” I answered. “Oh.” he said. “A Baruna.” I’m afraid we all had a good laugh at his expense because of course she is not A Baruna, she is THE Baruna. There was and could ever only be one Baruna.

Like Orient, Baruna has gone through a series of owners since I knew her and, I understand, has also been reconditioned and is currently for sale. I closed my SEA article with the following paragraph, which still says it all about as well as I, at least, am capable of saying it:

“Recently, a typically noisy after-race gathering at the St. Francis YC watched Baruna sail in close to the club and tack out. As she approached, the crowd quieted to silence, and as she sailed away one old-timer seemed to speak for everyone present as he said, ‘It’s good to have her back where she belongs.’”

30 comments:

  1. Does anyone know where she is now? 2012?
    As a photojournalist I sailed on Baruna for a story on ocean racing which I shot for West Magazine. It was the SF to Santa Barbara race. The boat had already been painted white and the transom reversed. None the less I got some wonderful images of the grande dame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I know the current owner of Baruna, and she is in California. If you are interested, I could give you the contact number.

      Delete
  2. I was aboard The Baruna as a young man and the experience of seeing her and and her salt-and-pepper match, the Bolero has stayed with me a lifetime. The sight of the Baruna's gleaming black hull contrasted against the glaring white of the Bolero's along side her provided a sight that I still remember vividly half a century later. Both boats were still in their prime then, sleek, graceful and untouched by the ravages of old age and neglect that come all too soon to so many fine ships. I pray that she has now found a loving, caring owner who will cherish her as I cherish the memory of her the way she once was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, the ravages of old age come to ships and sailors alike!

    How fortunate you were to have known her 'back when', and to have been a part of her history with the Bolero. Although my time on her was much later, I'm still grateful for the experience and also hope that she has found a good owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, I hope this still finds you well. Your post was a year ago. Do you still have Gary's #? I have a cell from his Baruna biz card he gave me back in 2006. long story .. and perhaps he has forgotten who I am ... but I stumbled upon the card and well ... will actually be coming out to cali next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should anyone still be following this thread, Baruna is in Marina del Rey, and listed for sale -- see: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1938/Sparkman-%26-Stephens-CCA-Yawl-1974635.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great restoration job -- she looks fabulous. Kinda wish they hadn't painted her white, but that's the traditionalist in me coming out. Thanks for the post and link. Hope she finds a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baruna! My daddy owned Baruna from about 1978-1986 if I remember right. She is unique! I helped paint her, redo her decks, sand and varnish all kinds of teak, as well as I ran the foredeck. My brother took the mast down one year and rebuilt it completely. Those winches, they are really something.

    Our first cruise was from Sausalito (where she was moored when my dad bought her) down the coast to San Pedro, where she remained for a number of years. That first trip was in the middle of winter, we sailed down the coast in a storm, and saw snow on all the coastal mountains the entire way down.

    Dad kept her down at Newmark's. She was the most magnificent sailing vessel I was ever on, that's for sure! I could tell you stories... We had her in a couple races, small ones, but even in light airs, she beat the pants off the smaller - supposedly - lighter air sailboats.

    She is truly amazing, practically moving just sitting there! I've seen her up at Marina Del Rey, had to go up there and look at her after moving back to Los Angeles a couple years back. One of these days, I'll have to dig out some old pictures, we still have some around here. Sure makes me want to go sailing just thinking about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you remember who your dad sold baruna to in'86, i was charter capt on "spanish rake" an 86ft gaff ketch out of terminal isl.in late 80's and raced the ancient mariner races, did a couple of crews on baruna late 80's on local races out of del rey, and have been trying to remember the owners name, broke my left hand when one of the grinders came around and hit the back of my hand during one race. i also crewed on bugeye ketch pandora III out of redondo y.c. and schooner's ranger and diosa del mar and lady ada. who were owned by capt. eddie.

      Delete
    2. Too bad this commenting engine doesn't do a better job keeping up on who wrote what. I wrote the "Anonymous" before this reply, Scotty-Denver, now just ScottyD, who grew up on sailboats. I do not know to whom my dad sold Baruna, but I believe she's still there up in Marina Del Rey, charter boat.

      Delete
  8. My father Bill Sweet and his lifelong friend Conn Findley crewed on Baruna in the StFYC big boat series until her sale by Jim Michael in 1968. I had the profound privilege as a young boy to sail on her from Belvedere one sunny Sunday afternoon. To this day, thoughts of her bring tears to my eyes. It's good to hear she has returned to her earlier glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. It's always so gratifying to me to hear from someone else who knew this exquisite boat, and understands 'what the fuss is all about'. People like you are the reason I leave this blog online -- many visit drawn to either Baruna or Orient, even though few leave comments. I can get a little weepy when remembering these two boats myself.

      Delete
    2. Hello Ms. Kitty, I found this blog when I was searching for Orient. I sailed on her and was part of the crew for the Ancient Mainers Race in San Diego. The owner at that time was Tom Borst. He aquired the vessel from a person that won it in a contest after it was used in the Movie "Lucky Lady". Tom brought up to Bristol condition. Sad it fell into disrepair in the 90s. I moved to Santa Cruz in the Mid 80s and lost touch. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  9. I just saw Orient this weekend in Santa Barbara. She's on an end-tie there, painted dark blue, and with all her brightwork looking fabulous. My understanding is that she has undergone a lot of restoration in the last decade, and it certainly looks like she is well loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- so nice to hear this first-hand report on this grand old boat. Thanks for taking the time!

      Delete
  10. I sailed on her in the early 1970's. Unbelievable boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was that! I'm grateful I had the chance to sail on her. Love hearing from others who also have memories of this fine boat.

      Delete
  11. I apparently hit the delete rather than publish link on another comment that arrived October 28, 2016, so I'm going to do it this way. It was from Anonymous.


    I sailed on her in the early 70's on SF bay. The Cal Maritime Academy owned her. We were aboard just about every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi -- I apparently quite accidentally hit the wrong button and rejected rather than accepted your comment re Baruna. Deep apologies! Not sure how that happened, but apparently it did. Please feel free to enter your comment again and I'll try to be more careful.

      I suspect you and I would have been aboard at the same time(s). I wasn't out there every weekend, but I was there a lot of weekends. It was certainly a not-to-be-forgotten experience for me, as it seems to have been for you, as well.

      Two comments on this story in one day is unusual, tho I'm constantly astonished at how may people are drawn to this story on a daily basis, and how many leave comments about their memory of sailing on her. I love making contact with these people and thank you for your comment and interest in Baruna. Please, take a moment an re-enter your comment. I'd love to have it part of the permanent history here. The only reason I leave this blog live is the amount of interest it draws from people who know or are interested in Baruna and/or Orient.

      Delete
  12. I think I know you MsKitty, and John Betz may too, as him and I know each other and both crewed on Baruna and maintained her at the same time while CMA was honored to be her owner, albeit for a brief time. I don't think anyone really "owns" a boat like Baruna, they're just fortunate enough to be her caretaker for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim, good to hear from you. If you were crewing during those times we probably did know one another. Sad to say I don't remember many names from those years, and probably only those because they were in my the article I wrote. The purpose of that article was to encourage people to join in the effort to get her back in shape, so there were a couple of contact names. If you can actually remember me from the hordes of people who managed to sail on her a few times, I'm honored.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dad was the skipper of Baruna for many years and I sailed onboard her to Fiji when I was 15 years old. It took 3 months as I recall. We lived on Taveuni with Baruna moored offshore. After a couple of years my dad parted ways with the owner and the boat fell into disrepair. I had kept the sawn off stern section on display where I was working in Marina Del Rey and ended up selling it to the owners at that time who reattached it I believe. It may have been used as some sort of template. Not sure. Boat had great childhood memories for me and it’s really nice to see it back in good hands.

    Wes Heinmiller
    Orcas Island, Wa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wes. Sorry to be so late responding. What a fabulous story! I am utterly envious of the sail to Fiji as well as the stay there. And I never knew the sawn-off stern had been kept, either. I learn so much from all of you who take the time to share their tales of these two boats, and appreciate all of it. I lived on Orcas from 2000-2002, but didn't do any sailing to speak of. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    2. MsKitty,
      Baruna is completing a restoration, back to her 1938 plans, in Europe. A book is being written and we would be interested in your experiences with the yacht. You can contact me at bobhanelt@aol.com. Thanks.

      Delete
  15. Raced on Baruna in the 60s when she was owned by Jim Michaels - lots of races on the Bay, Whitney Series out of Long Beach and a few times later when owned by John McIntire of Long Beach. I sailed with Bill Sweet (actually lived a short distance from him and his family in San Carlos) and Conn Findley. I started onboard as a tall, skinny high school kid and was paired opposite Conn on the coffee grinder. What an experience to be literally ground down by an Olympic medalist in rowing (gold in '56 and '64 and bronze in '60). He also medaled in sailing with Dennis Conner (bronze in '76) and sailed in the 1974 and 1977 America's Cup events with Ted Turner (winning in '77) Plus he's a two-time inductee into the National Rowing Foundation Hall of Fame.

    Great times on a great boat that will always live in my heart. To be part of the early days of Big Boat series and win it a couple of times was a fantastic experience. I can still see Orient, Ticonderoga, Stormvogel, Kialoa II and host of other BIG boats racing on the Bay. The starts with 10 - 12 boats on the line were breathtaking.

    Tom Isaacson - Santa Barbara, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this. I've been ignoring this blog for awhile. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with these boats. I suspect there are lots of us still around who remember them fondly and with much nostalgia.

      I can't imagine all those really big boats on the starting line. I've been on that line, but in smaller (40, probably, early morning in dense fog. One time they put me on bow lookout to warn of boats that loomed out of the fog maybe 10 feet away (seemed like 2 feet). That was hairy, but ended well. I missed those big boats you mentioned, though. Recognize the names, but never saw them.

      Delete
  16. I was prowling around Santa Barbara Harbor yesterday and there was Orient side tied at the end of one of the fingers. She looked magnificent and is in Bristol condition. A good friend of mine had the good fortune to sail on Baruna bringing her back from Cabo after the LA to Cabo race in the 70's. He still talks about it and what a special yacht she was. Rest assured Orient is in good hands these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update -- nice to know she's in good hands. It's criminal to let these grand boats go, though I understand the cost involved and that not everyone who appreciates them can afford them, and vice versa.

      Delete
    2. Been checking on Baruna again and learned that she's been completely rebuilt by Hoek in Europe. Excellent yard and they seem to have given her the rebirth she deserves: https://www.hoekdesign.com/yacht/72-classic-baruna

      Delete